The new year is off to a roaring start with the biggest supermoon of the year followed by the Quadrantid meteor shower and great planetary conjunction of Mars and Jupiter. Now, its time to experience the first Eclipse of the year! The very special Total Lunar Eclipse on 31st Jan, which is coinciding with Super Moon and Blue Moon. A super Blue Moon eclipse! A rare occurrence which happened in 1866 for Americas and 1982 for Asia-Pacific.
AstroSoc Astronomy Outreach Department brings you the Eclipse event within the city limits for the very first time. If you want to know, Why we have moon..? Why it changes phases..? How eclipses occur..? along with understanding of Super Moon – Blue Moon phenomenon and also directly observing Eclipse and exploring various surface features of Moon up close through telescope..? Then here is the chance.
When & Where..?
Event Date: 31st Jan 2018, Wednesday.
Event Start Time: 17:30Hrs (5:30 PM) – Please scroll down to see tentative schedule
Event Venue: Sai Ram Paradise Apartment, Opp. Miyapur Police station, Madinaguda-Hyderabad (see map below for GPS location)
Registration Fee :-
*Scroll down to see the options for payment and enter the Transaction Id in the field provided in the form before submitting.
Registration Form :-
How to Pay..?
Note: If you are bringing others along with you. Mention their names in the respective field above and make the payment for all in a single transaction.
(OR) Online transfer(NEFT/IMPS) to below account:
- Passion to learn and watch the eclipse
- Get Binoculars, DSLR if you have
- Carry snacks/water/beverages to keep you energetic till eclipse ends
- Patience to wait for decent sky conditions, if visibility is hindered by the local weather
- Shoes & Warm Clothes are recommended
Tentative schedule for the event:
- Reach the venue by 5:30 PM
- 05:30 – 06:00 PM
- Self introduction
- 06:00 – 06:30 PM
- Understanding Moon formation, evolution with interesting facts
- 06:30 – 07:30 PM
- First glance of eclipse from Hyderabad starts at 6:30PM
- Understanding of Moon phases and Eclipses
- Understanding why Moon turns red when fully eclipsed and what other colors it can have?
- 07:30 – 08:00 PM
- Telescopic Observation of Eclipsed Moon with prominent features like Craters and Mare.
- 08:00 – 09:00 PM
- Exploring other features on the moon like Rays, Domes, Faults, Ridges, Valley’s & Rilles
- Eclipse ends at 8:40PM
- Lunar calendars in various cultures – past & present (Backup plan if bad visibility)
- 09:00 PM
- Group pic & pack up
Eclipse visibility worldwide
Eclipse visibility from Hyderabad
In case you have any queries or concerns regarding the event you can reach out to,
PR & Event Management:- Pavan: 8143418532
Astronomy Sessions:- Praveen: 7702350484
>Snaps from our past events: